Saturday, November 27, 2010

Victoria Votes.

This is the first time I’ve actually still been undecided on the night before an election. Not as to which party I’ll give my first preferences to, nor which to preference last, but as to which major party will get to be slightly higher on my list than the other. Given I’m in a very marginal seat this time around, that decision is also probably rather more influential than usual. I’m not going to bore you with much of the reasoning behind my final decision, partly because it could still change even between now and when I step into the booth. I will say that I am very glad that Greens candidate Damian Magner, the major proponent of their public transport plan that I squeed over a couple of weeks ago, looks likely to win the upper house seat he’s standing for. I don’t really have much else to say except to wish Fiona Patten and the Australian Sex Party the best of luck.

But I would like to share a letter from GetUp, whose very important pro-choice campaign “My Choice Is No Crime” is linked in my sidebar.

Today, millions of Victorians will go to the polls and determine the next government and future direction of Victoria. Yet many young Victorians could miss out. An incredible 20% of eligible voters aged between 18 and 25 aren't on the electoral roll, and many more have out-dated enrolment details.
New laws for this election mean you can vote even if you’re not enrolled yet. Simply turn up to a polling booth with your ID and enrol right there and then on Election Day. More information can be found by going to www.vec.vic.gov.au or calling the Electoral Commission's hotline on 131 832.
If you are already enrolled, can you pass this on to anyone you think might not be? It could be your son, daughter, friends from uni or co-workers. If you know anyone who turned 18 in the last year, who moved house, got married, became an Australian citizen or changed their name pop them a quick email to remind them they can still enrol on Election Day. It's as simple as turning up to a polling booth on Saturday with your ID — such as a drivers licence or learners permit, a rate notice in their name or an electricity bill.
More information can be found by going to www.vec.vic.gov.au or calling the Electoral Commission's hotline on 131 832.
From the High Court victory, protecting the enrolment of thousands of Australians, to the Federal Court decision allowing Sophie Trevitt to enrol online, GetUp members have fought hard to make sure that all Australians have the opportunity to exercise their democratic rights. Let’s make sure that this Saturday, every Victorian gets a chance to determine the future of this state.

1 comment:

  1. Which major party to place higher is my dilemma every election!

    ReplyDelete